I was originally going to do my top 15 books, but I really can't find 15 books that I genuinely loved this year, especially since I started so many series this year but haven't had the time to read the second book. I have a rule that I have to read the first two books in a series to put it on my favorites list, since so much can go wrong after that first book.
So, in no particular order, these are my five favorites of 2015. I hope there are many more favorites to come afterwards, and that a lot of the first books I read this year will be on next year's list.
5. Jennifer E. Smith- I've read almost all of Jennifer E. Smith's books this year and have loved them. Even though they have their cheesy moments, they still have this warm feeling about them that I find only with her books. They're written really well and I love the characters that she crafts. I'm really excited for more of her books to come!
4. The Mara Dyer series- I read the Mara Dyer series in June, and they were such a breath of fresh air. They were the only real supernatural books that i read this year, which I'd been craving after all the fantasy and contemporaries that I'd been reading. I finished each one of them in one night, so captivated by the story and how well it was delivered. This is definitely going to be a reread in the near future, to add a bit of excitement in between all the contemporary and fantasy.
3. Stephanie Perkins- If you are in a book slump or a mourning period, the best remedy is Stephenie Perkins. She writes some of the cutest contemporaries I've ever read and helped pull me out of the book slump that shall be known as 2014. I love her characters and she chooses amazing settings to have her stories in. Ignore the cheesy titles and the awful original covers, since her books are definitely better than them.
2. Rainbow. Rowell.- If you haven't read a Rainbow Rowell book yet, you are missing something in your life. Go pick one up. I read my first Rainbow Rowell book this year, which was Fangirl, and fell in love with her books. She is a contemporary writer, although she wrote Carry On, which is fantasy, and Landline, which has magical elements. All her characters are so relatable, even though they're all so different. Even her darkest storylines are like cotton candy, just because she weaves dark and light together. I'm so glad that I found her books because they're a treasure worth holding on to.
1. Cassandra Clare- Cassie's books. Sigh. Here's a funny story entitled "My Stupidity and Ignorance: A Memoir." Back when I was 12, my cousin raved about City of Bones. She was obsessed to say the least. She'd always tell me to read it, but I never actually got to it. I could've joined the fandom so much earlier if I'd bothered to listen to her, but that didn't happen. Last year, after hearing Christine go on and on about them, I finally decided to pick them up. Whoever is on the other side of this screen, if you haven't read Cassie's books yet, make it your New Year's resolution because you need them in your life. It doesn't matter if you don't like fantasy because they are as comprehensible as contemporaries. If you tried City of Bones and didn't really like it, power. through. Read Clockwork Angel if you were confused by the world building. But please, do yourself a favor, do me a favor, do the entire world a favor and read Cassie's books. You won't regret it. Also, if you do decide to read them, please read them in the intended order:
City of Bones
City of Ashes
City of Glass
City of Fallen Angels
City of Lost Souls
City of Heavenly Fire
It looks weird, but this is the order of publication and helps you not get spoiled. Basically, you want to read The Infernal Devices before City of Heavenly Fire. Now, you have the order. Go to your library, your bookstore, your e-reader, whatever you use and get City of Bones. Now.
So that's it for my faves of 2015, please let me know in the comments what your favorite books this year were.
Follow us on Instagram @once.upon.some.fangirls
Follow us on Twitter @ous_fangirls
Friend me on Goodreads www.goodreads.com/CaramelOUSF
Add us to your circles on Google+
I'll talk to you guys in 2016!