First off, the cover.
Okay, here are some other things I want to talk about:
- Clary: I actually wasn't a huge fan of Clary. Yeah, she's the main character, but I didn't feel like she did anything of importance besides finding out where the Mortal Cup is. I especially felt a great disliking towards her in the beginning of the when she threw a tantrum after her mother told her they were going away. However, I must say, she has a pretty respectable personality. She doesn't care what others think of her, she acts on her own account. Clary is also a really loyal person. I thought it was totally awesome of her to go save Simon, but she did act kind of rash, which is another thing I disliked about her.
- Jace: I didn't like Jace. I didn't like him at all. He acts like he's so much better than everyone else. He is wayyyyy to arrogant and self centered for my liking. However, he did save Clary's life numerous times, which I give him snaps for, and he also killed many demons which is quite respectable. One thing that I still don't understand yet, is the thing Madam Dorothea told him from his tea leaves, that he would fall in love with the wrong person. I think the obvious answer would be Clary, since she's his sister and all, but I don't think that theory is right.
- Simon: I LOVE SIMON!!!!! He is by far my favorite character in the book. I really like his sarcastic attitude that makes him seem soooo funny! I think he is hilarious! Not to mention his obsession with Dragons and Demons is so cute! He's like a fanboy! Perhaps I also like him because he has glasses (high fives Simon 'cause we're four eyed buddies). I like how he's protective of Clary, but I must admit, sometimes he does get over protective. But he always has Clary's back, even after she breaks her heart. And remember when Clary, Jace, Isabelle, and Alec were at Madam Dorothea's trying to get the Mortal Cup? They would've gotten killed if Simon didn't put his bow and arrow skills to work. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new Katniss Everdeen! Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
- Clary and Simon: I ship them together. Ithey would be such a cute couple! I mean, they were best friends since they were little, so it would be the perfect love story. They're always there for each other, and are practically boyfriend and girlfriend already! I thought that it was pretty obvious that Simon had a crush on Clary, but she didn't even notice! And then Jace just HAD to step in.
- Clary and Jace: I didn't ship them in the beginning and I don't ship them now. At first I didn't think they wouldn't make a good couple because, Jace is so arrogant and self centered and Clary was kind of naive, so I thought it wouldn't mix well. But now I don't ship them because they are BROTHER AND SISTER AGHHHHHHH!!!! Sorry, I was just thinking of the grossness of kissing-no, MAKING OUT- with your sibling. Ugehhghghhghehhehehhh. But I must say, the scene when the kissed on Clary's birthday in the garden, it was really cute. However, what happened afterward was NOT cute. Simon got mad, then Clary tried to explain, then Jace got made, so then everyone hated Clary. It was one of those moments where I just had put down the book because I could feel Clary's sadness. That was an upsetting part in the book.
- Alec: I thought that he was really over protective in the beginning of the book, but now I understand why. I turns out that he likes Jace more than just a friend/brother. I don't have anything against gays, but I just don't think that his and Jace's relationship will go anywhere. Jace is straight, and he's still hung up over Clary. So I don't think Alec and Jace will get anywhere.
- Isabelle: I thought that she was pretty cool. I like how she uses whips to fight, which is pretty uncommon compares to knives and swords. I think that she must have been used to being the only girl in the family, so when Clary came along she might have felt she was competing with her. But being the only girl can be lonely, so I assume she must have liked becoming friends with Clary too. And I can totally relate with Isabelle of being an awful cook. I would rather order Chinese take out any day.
- Luke and Jocelyn: I ship it. I ship it hard. Jocelyn is a pretty good mother to Clary, and Luke is a good fatherly figure. It feels like they are already married by the way they act. Why can't they make it official? I had a feeling that Luke loved Jocelyn, and when I found out that he really did well my thoughts were 'YESSSSSSSSSSSSS' but then he said that he thinks Jocelyn doesn't feel the same way he felt, I thought 'NOOOOOOO' but then Clary tries to convince Luke to tell her mother how he really feels. I was really excited to see how Jocelyn would react, but then she goes into a coma like state *sighs*
Overall, I thought that it was a pretty good book. I enjoyed the whole plot of the story, it had some really nice plot twisters and reveals. I would have liked it more, though, if Clary had a more powerful part, and if Jace wasn't so self centered. I'd give this book 89%