I'd first like to start off by saying that, this week, we've gotten over 50 different people visit our site! This is incredible, thank you so much for stopping by and reading, I promise to update more, I've just been studying a ton. Please comment, I really want to be able to read comments and talk to some of you guys!
Anyways, Shadowhunters has FINALLY come out and I have been so excited to discuss it. I wasn't sure if I wanted to break it down episode by episode, but I have a lot of opinions I don't want to forget, so here we go!
I'm going to start with my overall thoughts with the show, then break it down with "spoilers," but they aren't spoilers if you've read the books.
I liked the show, but it felt like ABC Family trying too hard not to be ABC Family. Izzy's outfits felt over the top, not like her at all, which just bothered me. I felt like they were trying so hard to re-brand that they made all these changes that add up. I wasn't a huge fan of the script or the fight scenes and the only actors that I honestly enjoyed were Alberto (Simon), Matt (Alec), and Harry (Magnus). I would recommend watching it, but keeping an open mind that it will (hopefully) improve as the show goes on.
I'm also really hoping for the blending of the storyline of the Infernal Devices (Will!), maybe like a season switchoff. Something really evil the producers could do is end this season with the big Jace and Clary reveal at the end of City of Bones (you know what I'm talking about) and then have next season only in London (the evil writer inside me is coming out).
Now it's time for spoilers, so I suggest you leave if you do not want to be spoiled, then you can come back and discuss it!
- Clary - I wasn't a huge fan of Kat's version of Clary. I love Kat, she seems really enthusiastic about the show, but Clary just didn't seem as feisty as she is in the books. I understand that they needed the show to move along, so they couldn't have her reject Jace, but it really annoyed me that she did little things like accepting his hand to walk to the City of Bones. Her lines were quite poor, but that is more the fault of the writers than her. There were very cheesy ABC Family lines like "Mom, I'm just turning eighteen, I'm not going off on some big adventure." I just felt like there was too many cliches with Clary that just didn't settle with me. She also seemed really dramatic over the stupidest things like the disappearing biscotti. It also really annoyed me when, every time that necklace showed her something, she'd gasp really loud and clutch her throat. I understand the first time she did it, but the third time in one scene was honestly just overkill. She also didn't seem interested in figuring out how to defend herself or even asking for a weapon, but just assumed that Jace would protect her instead. Don't even mention her hair, it's practically neon but I'm actually getting used to it. Overall, I'm disappointed in Clary so far, but am hoping for improvement.
- Jace - Oh gosh. Jace. I just wasn't convinced that he was Jace, I felt like it was someone trying to be Jace but actually sounding like a robot. From what I've heard, Dom is really great in other movies, but he just isn't doing well as Jace at all. His lines were really bad (again, not his fault), but he didn't make them good either. Instead it just sounded very slow and monotone. I also was bothered by the fact that he seemed way too open with Clary, by saying that he didn't know his mom and that his father was killed. Jace uses humor and sarcasm as a weapon to keep people from digging into his past, but this Jace did not. I don't like him nearly as much as Cassie's Jace and am honestly not sure if he'll improve since they already filmed a whole season.
- Simon - Simon was probably my favorite character on the show so far. Alberto has read all the books and has a really good view of Simon, which I love. Even though his lines were not the best, he was able to deliver them in a Simon-esque way that made them believeable. He's not as funny in the show as he is in the book and I'm especially mad that they cut the whole "Jesus" exchange with Luke. Did anyone else find it funny that Simon chose to sing "Forever Young?" I sense foreshadowing... It's also great that the writers kept the changing "band" name, but the band is two people, so it's not really much of a band.I would like for them to improve his lines and also up the whole stalker feeling from Maureen, but I'm very happy with Simon
- Izzy - I honestly hated Izzy in the show. Don't get me wrong, Emraude totally looks the part but I just the way she's written. [CITY OF LOST SOULS SPOILER AHEAD: Apparently, Cassie said on her Tumblr that Izzy doesn't know that her dad cheated on Maryse, so she's still a happy go lucky Izzy rather than the bitter, cautious Izzy. I'm really upset about this change, because it takes a lot away from her. END OF SPOILERS] The way Izzy dressed was honestly too much for me, I understand that she isn't as conservative as Clary but she's also not a prostitute. She also seemed way too interested in Simon and too accepting of Clary, when she's supposed to be guarded, especially with Simon. During the fight scenes, Izzy was the "distraction" when book Izzy would always make sure that she could be the first one fighting. Even when she lost Simon, Izzy would never COME BACK without him, but would keep looking until she found him. TV Izzy is Izzy without the amount of coolness and an upped "female characteristics."
- Alec and Magnus - We didn't see a lot of Alec in the show, but I think he's doing really well with the character. There's a good amount of angst with him and he's very subtle with upcoming plot devices. Harry is doing well as Magnus, but I don't like the fact that they made Magnus run from the Circle. I know it's for a character arc, but it's honestly not a Magnus move. I'm super excited for the Malec episode, especially since they're two of the best actors on the show.
- Special Effects - I don't like the special effects, they seem way too cartoonish. The runes aren't the greatest, I was hoping they'd look more black like old burn marks. The seraph blades look like lightsabers, I was kind of hoping they'd look like they were made of glass and have a very faint glow. The demons erupt into this gold glitter, but I was envisioning more of a black sticky tar, kind of like the tar from Mockingjay Part 2. Even the fight sequences are filmed very choppily and have this weird triple image thing going on that makes it even less realistic. When they apply runes, they swipe their steles rather than actually drawing it on, which makes no sense. Overall, I'm hoping that they improve the special effects and settle into them, but there is definitely a need for assistence there.
So those are my thoughts on the first two Shadowhunters episodes, let me know what you think in the comments. I'm going to try and live tweet the fourth one, just because of finals, so make sure you stick around for that.
Follow us on Instagram @once.upon.some.fangirls
Follow us on Twitter @ous_fangirls
Friend me on Goodreads www.goodreads.com/CaramelOUSF
Add us to your circles on Google+
Have a wonderful day!